Pages

Friday, August 18, 2006

Guerlain Metallica - Metalys - Review

Not "How do I love thee ..." but "Why do I love thee?" Why do I love ANOTHER Guerlain Boutique fragrance? I have two brand new Boutique Guerlains; now suddenly I fall for a third. Am I trying to drive myself crazy, or to the poorhouse, or both? I had tried this one before and dismissed it. And when these things happen, don't you say to yourself, humm if I was wrong about this one, how many others have I been wrong about?

So yes as you can see, I have just scored a gorgeous Bee Bottle of the now discontinued Metallica. I have added some nice pics so those of you who have never seen a limited edition Bee Bottle can check it out. This was the first time I had seen one, so I was more than thrilled to own it!

Originally created in 2000 by Jean Paul Guerlain, Metallica, due to a trademark lawsuit with the rock band Metallica, was forced to change its name. It is now known as METALYS. So this bottle is rare indeed. And rare for another reason, yes, they tweaked the formula. I believe Guerlain in order to meet EU allergen requirements made a few changes during the repackaging. There is controversy as to whether it as has been done, but a side by side comparison reveals the truth; Metallica is muskier and more powdery in the opening notes. Metalys is brighter with more carnation in the opening. The drydowns are pretty much identical, except Metallica is far longer lasting.

Slightly metallic, powdery sweet and ambery, the notes include: vanilla, ylang ylang, rose, carnation, iris, tonka bean and amber.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vic, the juice sounds lovely and Holy Hannah! That BOTTLE is to DIE FOR!! Thanks for the great review, it was a pleasure to read your impressions.

Terry

Marina said...

Stuning bottle, just stunning. Congratulations!

chayaruchama said...

How lovely is THAT?

Yum, yum,yum...

Yup, it's the poorhouse for you, my friend [and probably, for me as well!]...

Anonymous said...

Where in the world did you get it?!?! I LOVE Metallica myself... oh wish i have a bottle =)

Anonymous said...

Killer bottle Vic.

I just saw one on Ebay for $494.99. Yikes. Congrats on snagging one of these. Gorgeous.

Dawn

Victoria said...

Thanks everyone! I was lucky to snag this bottle on eBay with only one other bidder, but still it was a lot of money. But there is a lot of juice in there it's 250 ml. I am considering selling a limited number of decants at my cost.

Jenny said...

Congratulations with this beautiful bottle.

Unknown said...

I have that Metallica bottle. I bought it in Paris maybe 15 or 20 years ago. I also went to a perfume making site and saw big vats of rose petals and other ingredients. I learned a lot about making perfume, the "nose" is the expert who smells the processing and determines if it meets standards. He only works a few hours per day because the sense of smell deteriorates when over used. The tour The house of perfume for whom a site is blending is very secret. Guerlain is about my favorite so I was hoping these were Guerlain perfumes.