Pages

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Sous Le Vent - Guerlain - Review

Never say Never - Again

Ok, this time lavender. The "it doesn't work on me scent" of all time. I really never met one I liked or could even tolerate without an instant headache. But the "I'll never own a lavender fragrance" sentiment went flying out the window the moment I closed my eyes and breathed in this gorgeous, cool green chypre. The most delicate, tender lavender blossoms wrapped in a sueded pouch. A touch of fresh carnation to add a little spice, a pinch of iris to keep things dry and earth bound.

Sous Le Vent literally translated is said to mean the leeward side of an island; sheltered from the wind. Cool and smooth like velvet. A green chypre - dry as if green leaves would fall and crush beneath your feet. Heartbreakingly beautiful lavender rendered here so tender; a fairytale of forest woods and lavender fields where lovers meet in secret.

Notes: lavender, tarragon, basilic, citrus, carnation, oakmoss, iris, woods, patchouli.

The fragrance is a reissue of the one created in 1933 by Jacques Guerlain and is categorized as an aromatic chypre. It is not considered a limited edition, as in; it is not numbered or in a fancy bottle, but it will only be available for a year. The price is 180 Euros for a 100ml EDT, and at this time I believe it is only available from the Paris Guerlain Boutique. Well worth searching out this rare beauty before it is gone again.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Victoria
thank you very much for your post. Referring to Katie's post on scentzilla, too....Long live Lavender!
Isn't it a pitty that such a wonderful perfume is not available at all times, on a regular basis? I imagine all those gorgeous Guerlain fragrances, bottled again....ah!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review Vic, this sounds positively swoony! I love lavender when it's rich and soft, as in Caron pour un Homme and SL's Gris Clair - tell me, do I "need" a bottle of this one? :)
Terry

Victoria said...

Hi Andy, Yes, it is sad that this one is only for a limited time. It is so beautiful and classic it deserves to be continued.

Victoria said...

Hi Terry, well I hate to break it to your bank account, but yes, you probably need this. :O)

chayaruchama said...

Dearest Vic-

I loved your review [being such a chypre type myself], and the sample you sent.

Terry and I both need a bottle...perhaps I can send my DH on a mercy mission when he has to travel cross-country soon...

[Oh, Terry- you forgot Troisieme Homme- Caron, and Impact... they are truly swoon-worthy as well.]

And Andy- should you create a lavender worthy of the name, I would probably follow you like a dog [ and my two glorious sons as well, who are lavender fanatics]...

Be well, and thrive, amici ../

Unknown said...

Sounds so utterly wonderful and so out of my financial league at the moment.

Victoria said...

Chaya, I believe our dear Andy is working on a lavender as we speak. Your wish will soon be granted.
:O)

Victoria said...

Hi Jennifer, I understand completely! Maybe a nice decant will fill the bill?
:O)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I have a scent twin blogger! I also have a hard time with lavender. I always read your blog because I seem to have a similar nose for fragrance.

Victoria said...

Welcome my scent twin! Thanks for the post!