Pages

Sunday, March 19, 2006

"When the swallows come back to Capistrano..."

WHEN THE SWALLOWS COME BACK TO CAPISTRANO
(Written by: Leon René)


Recorded by : Gene Autry; Pat Boone; Calvanes; Xavier Cugat; Bobby Day; The Dominoes; The Five Satins; Emile Ford; The Ink Spots; Harry James & His Orch.; The King Sisters; Guy Lombardo; Tony Martin; Billy May; Carmen McRae; Glenn Miller; Dick Todd; Billy Ward & The Dominoes. And others I'm sure.

"When the swallows come back to Capistrano
That's the day you promised to come back to me
When you whispered, "Farewell", in Capistrano
Twas the day the swallow flew out to sea"

I always remember this date because it was my Mother's Birthday. She loved the romantic idea that on her birthday, the swallows return every year to Capistrano. Sometime after I had moved here, I took her to Capistrano to visit the mission and see the historic place she had only heard of in song. I would have to guess the version she loved best was by Gene Autry. I think she had a crush on him.

Also the Buzzards return to Hinckley, Ohio - but they never made a song about that.

No comments: